Friday, October 14, 2011

My Grandson's Rights

From the very beginning something was awfully wrong with the way my grandson was apprehended. Such apprehension and separation from his mother was unnecessary. A decision was made by an incompetent case worker. This is to me very disturbing and very scary when public agency employees feel that they can come and get a child at anytime without just cause. What is also most disturbing is that they also clearly feel that they will not be subjected to the law like everyone else, and can do anything they want without accountability. This agency is “Toxic”

The Child and Family Services Act clearly specifies that anyone who has reasonable grounds to suspect that a child is in need of protection must report the suspicion and the information to Children’s Aid. We all share a responsibility to protect children from harm, and when I promptly acted on reporting my concern about signs of child neglect in the foster home to my astonishment I was met with tremendous resistance.

Since I filed my complaint, the best interest of my grandson never was a primary consideration in all actions concerning his well being. CCAS never respected my rights and responsibilities as a person that was responsible for the child. Instead I was made to feel like I was a criminal. Their only focus was to keep all responsibility on my shoulders; to put as much pressure and stress on me personally because I dare speak up, and filed a complaint. I have been subjected to humiliation by their constant interference and demands on my privacy. My family, my honor, and reputation were under attack. No family should be subjected to this, and be treated the way my family was treated.

CCAS never respected the rights of my grandson, in order for mother and son to maintain personal relations on a regular basis. They never gave their best efforts to ensure recognition of the principle that his mother has common responsibilities for the upbringing and development of the child. The best interests of my grandson should have been their only basic concern; his best interests should have been taken into account.

The decision making by CCAS never took his mother’s view into account as well. I can reassure you that at any given time my grandson was not at risk with his mother. I do believe the biggest risk here is when a child is returned to a foster home as opposed to immediate family. My grandson is a prime example of what can happen. I thank “God” every day that he is at home safe, and well loved.

Because of his age he needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection. I am challenging their decision, and I have raised concern regarding their conduct and decision making. I believe that they breached his rights.

I have turned my life around to help my grandson and daughter. I feel trapped and at loss in a small town, by all the restrictions that they have place on me (us). I am unable to return to work to earn a living to support my grandson and financial support from the CCAS is out of question. I have done everything in my power to work with the agency on behalf of my grandson. I now feel that I am drowning in the bureaucracy of CCAS.
By Alfredine Linda Plourde
~ an excerpt from my book Protecting Canadian Children
www.protectingcanadianchildren.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment